frame: 1410 × 1790 × 135 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Presented by the Trustees of the Chantrey Bequest 1956
Reference
T00111

Display caption

This picture is typical of the panoramic cityscapes that Lowry painted throughout his career. Although it is an imaginary composition, elements of the view are recognisable as real places. For example, the Stockport Viaduct, which constantly haunted the artist, can be seen in the top left of the picture. But on the whole the image presents a generalised impression of the urban environment, dominated by smoking chimneys, factories, roads, bridges and industrial wasteland. As if to emphasise the human presence in this overwhelming, blackened city, Lowry focuses in on a small street in the foreground, almost inviting the viewer
to join the small group of people going about their business.

Gallery label, September 2004

Does this text contain inaccurate information or language that you feel we should improve or change? We would like to hear from you.

Catalogue entry

T00111 INDUSTRIAL LANDSCAPE 1955

Inscr. ‘L. S. Lowry 1955’ b.r.
Canvas, 45×60 (114·5×152).
Chantrey Purchase from the artist 1956.
Exh: R.A., 1956 (83).
Repr: Royal Academy Illustrated, 1956, pl.70.

The artist writes: ‘The picture is of no particular place. When I started it on the plain canvas I hadn't the slightest idea as to what sort of Industrial Scene would result. But by making a start by putting say a Church or Chimney near the middle this picture seemed to come bit by bit’ (letter of 19 October 1956).

Published in:
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, I

Explore

You might like